A Sucessful Story
The present pavilions 4 and 5 were built later, in 1984 and 1985, for theme exhibitions, to increase the available exhibition space at Lisbon International Fair (FIL).
In 1989, the Multi-purpose Pavilion, later known as the FIL Congress center and now called the Lisboa Congress center, was built. This pavilion, with four auditoria and five meeting rooms, used in combination with the other FIL pavilions, was a decisive factor in the sustained growth of business tourism in Lisbon and hosted the largest and most prestigious international events held in Portugal in the last 20 years.
The growth in the Lisboa Congress center’s activities was particularly outstanding from 1995 onwards, going from 120 events in 1995, with a total of 55,000 participants, to 250 events in 1999, with 180,000 participants. It was a fundamental factor in making Lisboa one of the most popular destinations in the world for congresses and international conferences.
When FIL moved to its new premises in Parque das Nações in 1999, it was possible to enlarge our available facilities. The Lisboa Congress center add another three pavilions with a total of 10,000m2 designed to host major events in excellent facilities and carry on the work of providing Lisboa with a large, modern congress center, by remodelling and enlarging the existing premises.
- May 26, 1957 – Keil do Amaral Pavilion Opening
- May 26, 1957 – Second Congress of Industry and the Portuguese Economists
- May 26, 1957 – Inauguration of the Exhibition of Portuguese Industries
- September 9, 1989 – Congress center Opening
- 24 October 2001 – Congress Center Inauguration (recast)